Friday, April 23, 2010

The EB White Read Aloud Awards

I'm not always good at predicting award winners. Usually, I like what I like, and it's not what the "critics" necessarily like. However, yesterday afternoon I mentioned to my children's librarian that I thought The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z. by Kate Messner would win a book award this year. I actually walked upstairs just to tell her that.

Late yesterday afternoon, I was scrolling through twitter updates, and noticed an agent that I follow had tweeted about Kate Messner's wonderful story being shortlisted for The EB White Read Aloud Awards. Did I call it or what? Not that I'd ever heard of the EB White Read Aloud Awards before. By the way, Grace Lin's Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is also on the list. I'm not taking credit for calling that one...I think Grace's book might have already earned some accolades (*cough* Newbery Honor Book *cough*).

I don't know Kate, but she lives in my region. So, I feel like I know her. Okay, that sounds slightly stupid. But her book is so good, if you haven't read it, you should. I'll link to Kate's blog so you can read her good news in her own words.

Congratulations to both Kate and Grace and the other shortlisted authors!

5 comments:

KA said...

I read Gianna Z, too, and I loved it! I think Kate Messner is very deserving.

Ann Marie Wraight said...

And good for you that you 'sniffed' them out Kris!

Maybe you should start gambling a little?...

TerryLynnJohnson said...

I haven't read these! Thanks for the info. That sounds like a great award.

Kristine Asselin said...

Kaylie - she is, isn't she!

Ann Marie - Hmm. Never been much of a gambler, but maybe.

TerryLynn - you should read both of them - they're fabulous! As are, I'm sure, the other shortlisters. I've got to get reading those too! Although, Kate's book made me cry so I'm not sure I could get through it reading it out loud!

Anna Staniszewski said...

Two great books! I'm excited they were both recognized, especially Kate Messner's book which has flown a bit under the radar.