Monday, April 19, 2010

Honesty vs. Victory

Because my novel is about golf (well, a girl who plays golf), I’ve been paying more attention than usual to golf news.

This story, about Brian Davis, is awesome. Brian is a professional golfer who has never won a major tournament. Over the weekend, he was in a final showdown with Jim Furyk when he called himself on a penalty that no one else saw. It underscores the reputation that golf used to have as the sport of gentlemen (or gentle-people - is that a word?). Regardless of recent news of golfers doing bad things, Brian Davis took the honest route. He knew he’d earned the penalty, and he faced it. Took responsibility.

And Jay Busbee, the writer of the news article I read, gives a great quote: “In golf, honesty is more important than victory.” If only more people felt that way about life in general. It's sort of a twist on the theme of my book - that victory is not the most important thing in the end.

Would you do it? If no one would know? If a million dollars were at stake, would you own your mistake? Brian Davis did - and he's sleeping better tonight because of it.

11 comments:

Aubrie said...

Wow, that's quite a story! I guess if he didn't say anything and took the money, it would be cursed wiht bad karma and only lead to bad things.

Jody Hedlund said...

I just love to hear those kinds of stories! I agree wholeheartedly, that personal integrity is so much more important, and that makes us a victor more than the money or the win!

Anonymous said...

So true! And I absolutely loved how you emphasized that with your ending!

Kristine Asselin said...

Aubrie - bad karma, so true! None of us can afford that!

Jody - me too. I think there are good things in store for Mr. Davis.

Laura - thank you! It really is the overall theme - hope I do it justice!

Unknown said...

Quite the story!!! Honesty is the way to go for sure!!! No matter what the outcome because at least you can live with yourself :)

Great post!!

Lydia Kang said...

I guess the honest route may be more painful, but being able to sleep at night is worth it, right?

Kristine Asselin said...

Jen and Lydia - thanks for stopping by. I love to read stories about people with integrity. It's often the harder route, but you're right, you can live with yourself!

Talli Roland said...

Just hopped over from Aubrie's blog. I would - because I know it would haunt me later!

Kristine Asselin said...

Thanks for hopping over, Talli, and for following me!

Ansha Kotyk said...

I'm a big fan of the moral of the story in books that I read. I love that you found a recent great example of integrity.
Your story is a great example of the value of integrity and honesty. You go Kris!

Elana Johnson said...

What a great story! I so would take responsibility for my actions, whether someone saw or not.