Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How I Write Series: Motivation

 
Welcome to the sixth installment of the How I Write series, brainchild of Ansha Kotyk.  A group of writers are writing about how we write – scheduled for Wednesdays through August.  Please check back weekly. And click here for the list of all the writers participating and links to their blogs.

Today's topic: Motivation: Getting through the Dreaded Middle Pages

Yikes.  Am I really supposed to tell people how to do this? Me? Um, okay, here goes...

It seems to me that even the most seasoned writers have trouble with motivation. I've got all sorts of fabulous and successful procrastination devices (not to imply that I'm seasoned. Yet).  None of which are particularly productive.

twitter. itunes. facebook.  When I'm really desperate, I might vacuum.  (I know, ::gasp::).  None of these things really help me rack up word count.  Or figure out my story.  Or make me feel productive.

So how to get motivated?  I keep glancing up at my shiny new blog title.  Writing. For Real.  And it hits me.  You just have to write.  Write crap if you must. If you get stuck, write character bios.  Write obituaries for your characters.  Interview them.  Ask 'what if' questions.  Pull out all those writing exercises you hate to write.  Just write.

I know I know.  It's a whole lot easier said than done.  Ask my crit group--I'm forever complaining I don't know what happens next.  But the fact of the matter is, I haven't really sat down and tried for this new wip.  It's summer, and I've been vacuuming. And if you believe that, I'll sell you a shiny new blog title. ;)

How do you get motivated?

7 comments:

Kay said...

Kris,
I get so much done when I procrastinate! Yesterday was more vacuuming than writing, but today is a new day! I will write.

Ansha Kotyk said...

Haa haa! I clean when I'm angry and when I'm avoiding my wip. So if the house is a wreck you know I'm happily writing. :) I should tell that one to my husband!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Gosh, I must write just like you because that line is so familiar--I don't know what happens next. And it's really because I fear putting my butt in that chair. WA!

that's why I am always trying to make someone else make me do it. I need people to hold my hand!

Kristine Asselin said...

Tina--The hand-holding is so helpful!

Kay and Ansha -- glad to know I'm not the only one procrastinating!

Tatiana Caldwell said...

*laughs* I've begun to turn my procrastination into something positive, too. For instance - pretty much every one of my "How I Write" posts have been written while I was supposed to be working on my W.I.P. ... ;)

Julie Musil said...

Other writers keep me motivated! I figure if I sit on my hands and don't write, I'm not getting my stuff out there. And if I don't get my stuff out there, some other motivated writer will beat me to it.

Good luck with your muddle. You can do it!

Kristine Asselin said...

Thanks everyone! Sometimes you've just got to find your stride. Lately, I've got too many things distracting me. And still I'm stewing about the story. I might try some plotting/outlining today...