Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Finishing

Finishing my work-in-progress.  Finishing.

Finishing is relative, really, because it's never finished.  There can always be more revising, more tweaking, another line of dialogue, another description. 

But, it feels finished.  I typed a line on Monday - I didn't expect it to be the last line - and it just felt...right. That's the end, I said.

I've got the manuscript out to a few "fresh" eyes right now.  I hope to have it ready to query in two weeks (always good to have a goal, right?)

So, how do you know it's finished? 

7 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

I re-read my entire ms after a three week break from it and I feel much the same way you do. I loved it. I tweaked it where I could and I've got the firs three chapters out with my critics group. But I'm just itching to query it. I have to remind myself to pull back the reigns because I'm always apt to query prematurely.

Ansha Kotyk said...

How do I know when it's finished? Seriously, I don't know... I'm hoping to call is quits soon... but I don't think that means "finished". :)

Unknown said...

I know when it's finished, like you, when it feels right.

Anonymous said...

Two weeks! That's awesome. It's an awesome feeling to write that last line and realize you just might be done. Congrats.

Kristine Asselin said...

CQG - three weeks? not sure I can leave it alone for that long...

Ansha - yeah, not sure if it's ever going to be really finished. When it's published maybe...

Carole Ann - it was a weird feeling 'cause I really thought I had a page or two more. Then, it was like, huh, I'm done. :)

Laura - thanks. I can only hope!

Unknown said...

I think you just feel it. It sounds silly but I think you just know, you re-read, revise, re-write, do all your finishing touches and much like when you finished your first draft there is just that feeling of utter accomplishment.

At least I hope that's the way it goes or I'm screwed!

Kristine Asselin said...

Thanks, Jen. I think I'm done, but I know I'm not, if that makes sense. I'm sure there will be some tweaks, but I think the hard part's done!