Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Kissing in the Rain: Happy Valentine's Day

I didn't participate in the That's YAmore blogfest, so my blurb is 313 words, not 250. But I really wanted to post a kissing scene from my work-in-revision novel THE SWEET SPOT on Valentine's Day. Especially since this particular kissing scene might get cut. Not sure yet, but it's a possibility.

Anyway, Kate's just been left in a parking lot a few miles from home by another boy. Scott's been following her in his car after telling her hours before he just wants to be friends. And then it starts to rain.

***
A little rain never hurt anyone.

But the next step squelched and she sank up to her ankle in mud. She stretched out both arms to catch her balance. Cringing, she pulled her foot out with effort. Pink Chuck Taylors covered in thick mud.

Everything from the last three days crashed down. Covering her eyes, Kate screamed. Screamed in guilt for blaming Giles. Screamed in despair for losing the golf course. Screamed in heartbreak for losing Scott.

He splashed through the puddle behind her, and the next thing she knew, his arms were around her and he pulled her close. “Sshh,” he crooned. “It's okay.”

His shirt was soaked, but she leaned into him. She wasn’t sure if it was him or the lilacs, but the world suddenly felt safer.

He pushed a strand of wet hair away from her face. Trying to catch her breath, a sob caught in her throat and she shuddered. She covered her mouth with her hand.

Gently, Scott pulled her hand away and cupped her face in both hands. His eyes were bright, his lips parted. He stared at her. It looked like he was weighing the risks.

Her heart in her throat, she met his gaze. His turquoise eyes flickered as though he wasn’t sure of his next move.

This is the last chance. There won’t be another one.

She laced her fingers behind his head and pulled him down just enough for their lips to touch. His were smooth and soft.

The sweet spot.

He pushed back with just a little pressure. Tentative at first, like he was afraid she’d break if he kissed her too hard. And then his arms were around her waist and he crushed her tightly, like he was afraid she’d vanish if he ever let go.  

A lifetime passed. Or a couple of minutes. She never wanted it to end.

picture credit: http://www.layoutsparks.com/1/78934/kiss-in-the-rain-3.html
 Don't you just love this picture? It's totally Kate and Scott.

***

Update: If you like kissing scenes, you might like TIMELESS: AN ANTHOLOGY OF YOUNG ADULT ROMANCE. Available through Amazon and Barnes & Noble. My writing partner, Ansha Kotyk and I contributed "Stella's Hero" to TIMELESS. And there's a kissing-in-the-rain scene in that story as well. Read an excerpt here: Stella's Kiss.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. It's a sweet scene, and I feel like it tells me enough about the characters so that I know them even without reading anything before this.

The photo totally works.

Katy Upperman said...

I do love that photo... I wrote a bit of flash fiction based on it a few months ago. So inspiring!

I love your revision-in-progress snippet. So much feeling, and that last line is simply fabulous! Can't wait to read more of your work in the future!

Ansha Kotyk said...

I LOVE this photo. And this scene is one of my favorites. :)

Jennifer said...

Absolutely beautiful passage!

Laura Pauling said...

Love it! Where can I get a hold of this book? :)

Taryn said...

Finally got around to reading--so cute :) How is it that you can make me want it to rain?

Kristine Asselin said...

Thanks everyone! It was harder than I thought it would be post it for all the world to see.

Thanks for being so nice about it. This scene makes me warm and fuzzy inside, and I hope you all get to read more about Kate and Scott real soon.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, Kris! I love how she takes the initiative!