Monday, October 17, 2011

Anna Staniszewski's MY VERY UNFAIRY TALE LIFE

From Goodreads:

You know all those stories that claim fairies cry sparkle tears and elves travel by rainbow? They're lies. All lies."—Twelve-year-old Jenny has spent the last two years as an adventurer helping magical kingdoms around the universe. But it's a thankless job, leaving her no time for school or friends. She'd almost rather take a math test than rescue yet another magical creature! When Jenny is sent on yet another mission, she has a tough choice to make: quit and have her normal life back, or fulfill her promise and go into a battle she doesn't think she can win.

***

There are lots of things to love about this middle grade book. First, it has a feisty and opinionated protagonist--I mean, c'mon people, she fights unicorns. And strange talking magical creatures. Second, she's a golfer. Well, mini-golfer. But still. It's a fun read--perfect for your middle-grader who's sick and tired of the traditional fairy tale. Or not!


Anna Staniszewski is getting fabulous reviews for her debut novel -- I would suggest that perhaps it's a great holiday gift for your favorite middle grader.

And if anyone is interested in meeting Anna, she's doing some appearances for her book--I think I'll be going on November 18 to the Barnes and Noble in Burlington, MA.

Me, reading an ARC of MY UNFAIRY TALE LIFE, on the beach this summer.

3 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I agree! Elementary girls will love this story!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks for the update/review on this book. I have made note, as it can be hard to find "good reads" for my daughter.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Every time I read about the golf ball, I thought of you :P