Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

My friend Liz wrote a post about her resolutions this week.  As a fellow writer and mom, Liz pretty much nails the resolutions (with the exception of the triathlon--Liz, it's all yours. LOL).  But I'm inspired to reflect on 2010 and think about the new year.

2010 has been a good year for my writing career.  My first work-for-hire book was published last spring.  I was assigned four new titles.  I started querying my first Young Adult novel to literary agents--and got some good feedback.  I can only hope that 2011 will build on that success.

1. First and foremost, I need to be better at trying to write every day.  I have a tendency to finish a project, and then "rest."  I've pretty much taken the last six weeks "off" from writing after I finished my last work-for-hire project.  #wastingtime.  I need to ramp up again and write, even if it's bad writing.

2. I still have three partials and one full manuscript out from querying last summer and fall.  I need to think about revisions on the novel and decide if I should keep querying or make significant changes.  Jury is still out.

3. I'd like to get some more work-for-hire contracts and continue to write non fiction.

So to sum it up...write every day...get an agent...publish more nonfiction.  And oh yeah, lose ten pounds.  Bring on 2011!

4 comments:

MG Higgins said...

These are some inspiring goals. Good luck with all of them and congrats on your excellent year! (That's very encouraging that you have partials and a full still out there, though the waiting must be making you a little bonkers!)

Laura Pauling said...

Good luck on the resolutions! It's nice to look back and see all you've accomplished. :)

Cathy said...

Hello! I'm finding new blogs to read. I'm also an aspiring YA novelist. Am revising my second YA ms, and hoping to query agents by May.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I like how your resolutions sort of summed up last year as well. You accomplished much. This year will bring good things, I am convinced.