Thursday, March 24, 2011

BEWITCHING SEASON by Marissa Doyle

From Goodreads:
In 1837 London, young daughters of viscounts pined for handsome, titled husbands, not careers. And certainly not careers in magic. At least, most of them didn’t.
Shy, studious Persephone Leland would far rather devote herself to her secret magic studies than enter society and look for a suitable husband. But right as the inevitable season for "coming out" is about to begin, Persy and her twin sister discover that their governess in magic has been kidnapped as part of a plot to gain control of the soon-to-be Queen Victoria. Racing through Mayfair ballrooms and royal palaces, the sisters overcome bad millinery, shady royal spinsters, and a mysterious Irish wizard. And along the way, Persy learns that husband hunting isn’t such an odious task after all, if you can find the right quarry.

I met Marissa Doyle a couple of weeks ago at a writer's social. She's also an administrator at Verla Kay's Blueboard. She's generous with her time on the boards, and a lovely person In Real Life. I always really like reading books written by people I've met--And I was excited to read BEWITCHING SEASON.  

I really liked BEWITCHING SEASON. It's a lovely combination of YA historical fiction (I loved reading about the Victorian era London aristocracy) and magic. I loved the ending and I don't think it's giving too much away to say--little brothers and handsome childhood friends ROCK. 

If you like historical fiction and a little magic, you'll love BEWITCHING SEASON. I haven't read the sequel yet, but I can't wait to get it! Marissa's website. 

2 comments:

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

These sorts of books seem to be picking up pace--historical combined with magic. I'm kind of liking the idea. It really opens up the window on paranormal. Thanks for the recommendation, Kristine!

Anonymous said...

I've seen this book around. It looks interesting. Perhaps I'll check it out. Thanks for the post.