Friday, August 26, 2011

Where ARE the gay parents in children's literature???

Thank you to everyone who tweeted or commented on the series that Jon Arnston and I have championed this week and last.

The good news is that there ARE gay parents present in children's literature. Just as there are gay children and teenagers. The bad news is there aren't nearly enough--it doesn't nearly reflect our actual society.

To me, it's important that middle grade and young adult books reflect the family structures of our target audience--of course that doesn't mean every book has to reflect every family. It's been good to find out that there are books out there who celebrate diverse family structures. I will continue to add to my reading list, and post reviews when I have them, under this banner (thanks to Jon for creating it!)

If you're interested in seeing the reading list, it's on this post, right here.

Please feel free to continue the dialogue!

6 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

Glad it was a success!

MG Higgins said...

Thanks for the interesting series, Kris. You guys did a great job with it.

Heather said...

This is a great point. I've actually read very few YA novels with gay characters in them and none with gay parents. Off to check out the list!

Heather Kelly said...

Thanks, Kris and Jon. I spend some of my time making sure that my kids know that all things are possible for them, including having a family if they choose same sex partners. I would love literature to reflect all types of families, and would love to not have to hunt down these titles.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if books they read just happened to reflect all types of families? Thanks again for the lists and looking into this!

Unknown said...

I remember a few years ago there was a huge controversy over a children's book where two kings wanted to marry and live happily ever after in their castle. They thought it was a bad idea because it was telling children it was okay to be gay.

It is okay, and I have friends who grew up in families with gay parents. Literature should be a place for all peoples, religions, and cultures. There should be no limits.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Nice wrap up, Kris! Thank you for participating with me.